Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ancestor Stones Part 1



I am starting this blog after only finishing the first chapter. I cannot believe Asana narrates things that aren't true! She was pulling on my heart string with her brothers last words being the answer to the riddle they were telling before they saw the white man. But no, on the next page, come to find out, that did not happen at all. Needless to say I am currently mad at Asana and will now treat her as an unreliable narrator, and no, she does not get credit for correcting herself. That's just how it is, I don't write the rules.

If I dare look past Asana's transgressions of being a lying child, in my eyes, I became quite intrigued by the scene with the white man, for many different reasons. Note, eggs are still considered special and that children should not have them. This was mirrored from, real life I assume and, Things Fall Apart where only spoiled children ate eggs. I find this interesting because cultures are quite fluid. What might be a taboo for one generation is not so for the next, maybe I was thinking that after "awesome" colonization that some of these old ways might be gone. As of 1926, I suppose they haven't.
Speaking of colonization, how has Asana not seen a white man? Perhaps, due to her young age, but they were certainly around. Were they not even talked about in her family? I was taken aback by her shock and awe in regards to the white man. Though her description of him was quite amazing, moon shadow, what a great phrase.
Finally, in regards to the white man, when Alusani started getting sick I assumed it was from malaria or small pox, some white person disease, you know, due to the fact that Alusani was spending time around a white man and eating his food. Germs are everywhere and contagious, mass biological genocide happens! I'm not sure Alusani did not have a European disease, Asana says it would be called a brain tumor these days, but first of all, I do not know which "these days" she is referring to and second, I don't totally believe her since I again won't take her as a 100% reliable narrator.

Is anyone else having trouble figuring out how these women are related? I cannot figure if Mariama is a wife just like the Asana's mother or is married to someone else? Regardless, Mariama has an interesting life, her mother works, slightly, making snuff. For some reason I think that is cool, probably because I think rolling your own cigarettes is cool too, though I don't smoke. Even mor eintersting is that Mariama's mother is not Muslim or Christian. As a narrator I don't think it was described how much of a force these two religions were/are. Either one would kill you for not conforming. If they did not kill you, you certainly were second class citizens for not being Muslim or Christian. I view that as strength, not Rama or the wives in Xala, Miriama's mom is going against so many laws and social taboo's, that is revolutionary.

I have to say, surprisingly I am enjoying this book. I think Toni Morrison took it out of me this weekend beating me in the head for 200 pages that black is viewed as ugly and white is beautiful. I thought that this book would also be something along those lines, thank goodness it is not. Such a great book talking about firsts. First time seeing a white man, first time looking in a mirror. It gives off a hopefully vibe for the start of the book. I wish this book would be great as a primary source, I wish it was one!

3 comments:

Kristin Tuinier said...

I was confused and frustrated by Asana's lying about her brother's death, too.

Linz Adams said...

Even though she lied about how Alusani died, I still felt kind of bad for her...he had always been treated better than her. But it was a shame that she was angry at him when he died...and that she lied about how he died.

Lindsey Brun said...

Dude...freaky I haven't even finished my post yet...I'm at work and it won't let me post it, you probably saw the messed up version.