Sunday, November 9, 2008

I need to read more novels with Muslim's in it



It seems fairly clear to me that the wadden represent, say desert resources, and the Bedouin the way of life that did not disrupt what nature had in place. The two visitors, especially Masoud seem hell bent on tracking down a wadden and killing, or if you prefer, the end a little piece of the old way, the way that did not totally change and rape the environment. Masoud appetite is so insatiable I cannot help but think he represents the new modern world, because every time we read more the modern world is doing something else harmful to the old way of living and usually in turn to the environment as a cost of modernization. A cost many do not think twice about putting on credit to be paid later.

Kat has inspired me to do some research for this blog. Masoud, the name of one of the men who come to the Wadi is Arabic, which first interests me because he is with a man named Cain Adam, I assume him to be European of decent. In Arabic, Masoud means fortunate, prosperous or happy. The character in the book does not seem to be any of that, he is pushy, rude and hungry for meat. Or, one could say, Masoud is prosperous which has lead him on all these hunts and is only happy when he has eaten his fill of meat; taken something from the land that cannot be replaced, because naturally death is permanent.
As for the name Cain Adam, I had to do religious research, my least favorite kind of research, ever...ever. In all three major religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam, Cain is a descendant of Adam, I am assuming hence the last name Adam. In the Koran and Torah, Cain kills his brother Abel because of Allah/God's rejection of his offering. I leave it at that, since this is already way over my head.



With the mention of the Bedouin I cannot help but think back to this summer when I was watching Lawrence of Arabia, near the beginning of the movie Lawrence's guide is shot by another Arab because he was from the wrong tribe or something of that nature. I thought I remember the term Bedouin being thrown around at one point. It almost makes me want to sit through the three hours of movie again to connect the words with the book.

4 comments:

Lindsey Brun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey Brun said...

I like your connection that Masoud is Europe and Asouf is Africa (or something like that).

Allen Webb said...

And there are more Islamic novels to read!!

darius said...

Omar Sharif's character shoots him because he drinks from a well that his tribe doesn't have the right to drink from, or something to that effect.