Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Western looks different

What happened to all the trees on campus? I remember sitting under trees on campus and now there is just tall grass. It looks like a safari. And the steps before Knauss, the last set of steps that make sure you are sweating before you walk into class? I feel like an old man reminiscing about how things were when I was a kid, even though I am only 24 (and no that is not old).
My name is Peter Larr and I haven't figured out the title for what I am yet, perhaps a super awesome senior. I graduated from Western once already with a Secondary Ed History major and minors in English and Social Studies (one of the last to be able to have Social Studies). I was not a grateful English minor, ask Allen, but I learned quickly that the only readily available jobs out there were English teaching jobs. After graduation in the winter of 2006 I packed up all my stuff and moved to Florida with 2 interviews. Since Florida is 46th in education I was hired in the interview to teach 9th grade English and 11th grade speech. Did that for a semester then switched to the adult school to teach basic Language Arts to anyone below the 9th grade level. Well, Florida is not that great of a state so this summer, despite having no job I moved back to Michigan and here I am, back with Allen Webb, just like before I left.
When I am not able to make children cry in the classroom I enjoy watching and playing football. I spend too much money on books are Barnes and Noble. I also like enjoying the lovely establishments all around Kalamazoo.
Clearly, my life goal is to teach again. Though I have been going through a mid-twenties crisis not knowing who or what level I want to teach and complaining about the slouching Michigan economy.

1 comment:

Allen Webb said...

Hey Peter, good to have you back. I know you sent me some emails, but I would enjoy learning still more about Florida.